Posted: Thursday, 12 December 2013 5:18AM
Prevent Holiday Tree Fires
MANKATO (TEC News), December 12 – With the holidays rolling around, Mankato fire officials are urging the public to take precautions to prevent tree fires. There are lots of safety tips including watering the tree regularly because a dry tree is more likely to catch fire. For more, check out our website at 3Enews.net.
- Ensure tree branches of live trees are flexible (not dry and brittle).
- Make sure artificial trees are labeled as fire retardant.
- Check tree light wiring to make sure they aren't frayed
- Turn off lights when tree is unattended.
- Have at least 18 inches of space between tree and any heat source; and avoid placing tree near fireplaces.